Thursday, September 04, 2008

International QSLing

I believe that I mentioned in an earlier post that at least for now, I am going to send out QSL cards for all of my contacts on HF. I purchased my QSL cards over a year ago from CheapQSLs.com. They are decent cards. I had passed out a couple to friends here in town, just for a token simplex contact on 2-meters. Now that I started making HF contacts about a month ago, I'm actually preparing my cards and mailing them out, and I'm getting a few in return. I've also signed up with eQSL and Logbook of the World (LoTW).

As far as my domestic contacts are concerned, unless I feel that I really have to have a card, I'm just sending my card as is, with its 27 cent stamp affixed. With all other cards I will include a return envelope and postage. I've been doing a lot of reading about how to deal with QSLing the DX contacts. Most of my research has centered around the postage part of the equation. In many countries you can purchase International Reply Coupons (IRCs) at a post office. When they are sent to a foreign radio amateur he can exchange them for one unit of standard airmail postage. Apparently in a few countries, the weight of our QSL cards and the return envelope is more than one unit of postage will buy, so two IRCs are required. I've got about six DX contacts in my log, so the other day on my lunch break I stopped at the nearby post office. They appeared to have heard of IRCs, but they didn't carry any. Later that evening, I stopped at the post office near the Port Columbus International Airport. That post office, up until recently was open 24 hours a day. It still has very late hours. I figured if any post office in Columbus sold IRCs, it would be that post office. I got there shortly before the Guaranteed Mail cutoff time apparently. I had to wait in line about twenty minutes. As before, the postal clerk here seemed to know what an IRC was, and I was hopeful that they had some, but she consulted with a fellow postal clerk, who indicated that IRCs were "being phased out". I wasn't in the mood to argue, so I left and headed home. A little later that evening I got on the computer and did some more research. I saw two things that should help. First, the Universal Postal Union, that established the IRC program is accepting designs for the next IRC to take affect in June of July of 2009. That tells me that they are not being phased out. Second, I read a post on some site that says if you get the line about IRCs "being phased out", it's because the postal clerk is too lazy to deal with the issue. The message poster indicated that the U.S. Postal Service's own International Mail Manual (May 2008 edition) says that IRCs can be requistioned just like any other postage product. It doesn't say that the have to have them in stock, but suggests they do if they have demand for them. Radio amateurs are probably one of the few segments of the population that use them. Anyway, I guess I need to return to my local post office branch and enlighten them on their international mail manual and get them to order me some IRCs.

On a parallel track, I have been working on the envelope system. Last Saturday, I went to my local Staples office supply store. I just assumed that they would have envelope systems consisting of a return envelope and an outer cover envelope. I was wrong, unless you are talking about envelopes for wedding invitations and the like. I don't think they would hold my card, they are heavier than necessary, and are not really appropriate anyway. So, when I got back home I got on the computer and did some more research. I found at least two people that carry DX supplies including envelope systems. I decided to place an order with James Mackey, K3FN, at Air Mail Postage. His prices seemed reasonable. He sells three different types of envelope systems: normal, European, and plain. At first I figured the Normal system was appropriate, since the web site mentioned that Normal is common in North America, but then I realized that my card will fit in both Normal and European, but I need to consider what system will accomodate the DXer's card. I asked Jim, and he quickly indicated that the European would be best. Jim also sells foreign postage. If the IRC thing doesn't work out, I can order postage stamps from Jim, and if that gets to be too cumbersome, there is always the Bureau System, but not all DXers or their managers use the Bureau.

As an update to my IRC quest--many of my posts on here take several days for me to compose and edit--I stopped by the local post office again only this time I had an excerpt of the USPS International Mail Manual in my hand dealing with IRCs. It didn't help. When the postal clerk was unsure about IRCs, I calmly asked to speak to her supervisor. Naturally, he was on vacation. I've got his name and phone number, and I may try to call him in a week or two. I also asked a well-connected friend of mine if she knew someone (an avid DXer) that I could contact and help me understand the QSLing process better. She gave a name and email address. I'll send him an email shortly.

73

1 comment:

David said...

A timely post for me as I'm sort of in the same situation. I'm a newish HFer that started in June. I think I've logged just under 1000 contacts so far, of which about 1/2 are from various contests I've participated in over the summer. These past 2 weeks alone I logged just under 350 contacts in 2 RTTY contests.

For QSLing, I got my cards from http://www.qslworks.com and they were terrific to deal with and the cards are super. So far I've filled out I think about 450 cards which is a bit more then you, but all within the last month. So far I've run across a few scenarios:

1) Special events where they are usually local and I send my card along with a SASE. So forgetting the cost of the card, and regular envelopes are pretty cheap, it's 84 cents to get a return QSL.

2) Local QSL Managers for DX stations. That's where I'm again sending a card and SASE return envelope to someone in the US and getting a DX card "direct".

3) The vast majority of what I sent are bureau (or buro) cards. Those are for all DX stations (non-US) including Canada and Mexico. I address them, bundle them up with a copy of the label from my ARRL QST magazine showing I'm a member and hand them to my local club QSL Manager. My club bundles them up and handles (pays) the shipping for the outgoing bureau cards. Nice perk of the club. On the incoming side, I need to pay for an account to receive them. Since I just (this past month) started sending, I don't anticipate much coming in any time soon, but my account is open and waiting. This category is the least timely and probably the least successful in receiving a reply. Can't always tell if a DX contact is able to receive them (QRZ.com doesn't always show) and how long it takes to get there and get returned could be many months to even a few years. But I'm sure it will be fun when they do start showing up. Need to pay close attention to whether these go to QSL Managers or to the station call sign when writing out the cards.

4) Direct international. I have 2 I'm willing to do this way because they don't accept cards from the bureau and I want their QSL card. Like you, finding info out about mailing direct and IRCs is really like a Where's Waldo puzzle. Again, club members help, but it's still hard to find someone/something that says: Say this, do this and viola, it works. So I still have to do those 2 cards. I think both also take $$ in lieu of IRCs. We have a great local post office but I work and didn't get a chance the past 2 Saturdays to get in there. Next Sat won't work either as it's a big VHF contest. Maybe I'll check out something by work. I checked out the site you referenced and those envelopes + shipping are VERY expensive. I'll see what other options I can find.

It really is amazing how there's no solid info on QSLing. I blogged about it too at:
QSLing Part 1
QSLing Part 2
QSL cards start to arrive

David - K2DSL